Subotica - Palic - the last remains of the Pannonian Sea
Subotica is a beautiful stop on the railway that connects Belgrade, Novi Sad and Budapest. Located in the northern corner of Serbia. This modern city in Vojvodina is a museum in its own right. Its most prominent buildings include the Synagogue (1902), City Hall (1908), the Raichle Palace (1904) and the City Library (1894). Designed by Komor and Jakab, Subotica’s beautiful City Hall is the largest in Vojvodina. The city’s citizens lovingly built it in 1908, in place of its dilapidated predecessor. Concrete and steel were used to construct Subotica’s 1902 Synagogue, a novelty at the time. Subotica’s 19th century theatre features six columns and is characteristic of the neoclassical style. The theatre’s first performance took place in 1747. Today, you can see drama performances here in both Serbian and Hungarian. A majority of the buildings in the city centre feature colourful Zsolnay ceramics. Their beauty greatly contributes to Subotica’s allure. Just 8 km from Subotica, Lake Palic (Palićko jezero) is 8 km long, 950 meters wide and 2 meters deep. The lake’s healing waters have attracted visitors since the 19th century, when its first spa was built. Today, the lake is a well-established modern resort featuring hotels, villas, sports facilities, three beaches and a zoo.